Sunday, December 03, 2017

Member Spotlight: Isabelle Jean

This month, we asked our Vice-President, Isabelle, to talk a little about herself and her quilty journey.


Your social media coordinates (blog/website, Facebook, Instagram, etc):

I have a blog at dizzyquilts.blogspot.ca and I'm also on Instagram as @dizzyquiltsblog.


What did you study in school and/or what do you do for a day job?

During the day, I manage a team of instructional designers who develop online learning. I've been with the same company for 28 years and I still love it!


How long have you been quilting?

I've been sewing for a long time (I used to make clothes for my teddy bears), but I discovered quilting only about 8 years ago. I ventured in a JoAnn's in the U.S. to buy fabric for curtains and right at the door, they were selling little kits to make baby quilts. I thought they were cute so I bought one. And that was it - I was completely hooked!

Guitar Quilt I made for my hubby a few years ago


What first got you interested in modern quilting?

I was browsing the Internet looking for tutorials and landed on modern blogs. I immediately fell in love with the graphic, colourful, very bold designs.


How did you find the MMQG and why did you decide to join?

I was looking for a guild in the Montreal area and the MMQG was the first one I found. I sent an email to Cinzia to get some info and attended a presentation she led on modern quilting. The guild was rather small back then, but I knew I had found "my tribe".


Whose techniques/style/philosophy do you most admire in the modern quilting community?


I love many different styles, techniques and the work of many quilters in the modern quilting community. I'm a huge fan of Jacquie Gering, I really like the style of Cheryl Brickey of Meadow Mist Designs and of Yvonne Fuchs of Quilting Jetgirl. 
 



Do you have any favorite quilting related social media accounts that you follow?

There are probably too many to list!


Where do you look for inspiration or ideas for your quilting projects?

I look at blogs, Instagram and modern art. A friend of mine just retired and she took up painting - she's amazing and her work is giving me all kinds of ideas for quilt designs!


What is your favorite project that you have completed?

I think my favourite finish is my CrossCut Quilt made during a QAL with Debbie of A Quilter's Table. I love the design, the colours I chose and I especially like my quilting on this one.


CrossCut Quilt


What would you consider to be your quilting ‘superpower’?

I'm really fast! I get very little time to quilt between my day job, the kids, the house and my grand-babies. I've learned to make the most out my time in the sewing room and use many time-saving techniques such as chain-piecing.


What is your favorite part of the quilt making process? Why?

I love the quilting part of it. Sometimes I love to spend hours stitching FMQ designs on the quilt and sometimes, I like to keep it simply and just stitch wavy lines with my walking foot. Either way, I just love it!


FMQ and walking foot quilting


More FMQ and some ruler work


What project or technique is next on your “to try” list?

I recently installed an app on my iPad which allows you to "play" with Josef Albers' colour explorations. I would love to make a series of small quilts inspired by his work.


Missing the U Quilt


What is the best quilting tip or technique you’ve discovered?

The best tip I ever learned was Cinzia's binding technique. I use it for every quilt I finish and it works perfectly every time!


What is the best bit of quilting advice you’ve ever received?

I love Angela Walters and I think the best quote from her is "A finished quilt is better than a perfect quilt top". I don't stress over how I'm going to quilt my quilts and I don't freak out when I mess up anymore - I just want a finished quilt that my family and friends will get to enjoy for years.


HST Quilt


Describe your creative process in three words:

I don't think I can describe my creative process in 3 words! I'm not even sure I would refer to my process as "creative". I make quilts!


Describe/share pictures of your creative space:

My sewing room in the basement of our apartment so I refer to it as my woman cave. I have a huge TV in it, a huge table where I can board baste quilts and of course, lots of room for everything I need. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the lack of wall space - I need to pin my design wall to the dining room wall when I design.


My Juki TL-2010Q




1 comment:

  1. So great to learn more about you, Izzy! And what a great roundup of all the quilty goodness you create!

    ReplyDelete