September 2017 Mtl MQG Meeting Minutes
September 12, 2017 at 7pm South West Mission, Verdun, QC
Quick points of business: Welcome
New Space - honour system for the food pantry.
Donation to the clothing swap at the coming up at the mission
MQG - Exec team
- Steph - Prez
- Izzy - Vice Prez
- Claudia - Treasurer
- Stacy - Programmer
- Fiona - Secretary and social media Coordinator
- Josee - registrar
- Josee - registrar
Raffle at the end of year - based on wearing a tag to meetings. Get your tickets from Izzy.
- We can set you up with partners to swag name tags if interested.
We are a bilingual guild, we will help with translations when needed.
Welcome back raffle for everyone
winners - FQ bundle won my Marlise and QuiltCon goodie bag won by Joanna
- See Joseé at the break
- Dues are $40 for the year… payments can be cash or cheque (payable to “Montreal Modern Quilt Guild”).
- Electronic payments are possible as well, let us know if you would like to make your payment this way.
Put blog address on the board (mtlmqg.blogspot.ca)
Members Only password: contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Reminder of Craft de Ville discount code: contact email@example.com
Reminder of Clinton Modern discount code - Based in Saskatchewan - contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Workshop this year w/Suzanne!
Subject: Memory keeping, documenting, perspective, fabric selection from clothing, preparing fabric, fabric types, tips for finishing.
Date: Nov 25th (Sew-In Saturday) - any objections? To be confirmed
Pattern with similar to deconstructed chevron.
There will be prep/homework prior to the class.
Quick introduction for skill builder in Modern quilting
- traditional quilt block
- modern quilting - fabric batting fabric thread what distinguishes us from tradition, fabric choice and colour, design aspects
- no quilt police
Skill builder Stacy - Rail Fence
- to avoid the show and tell becoming skill builder only, please post finished blocks to Instagram and Facebook. Feel free to bring your blocks we can look at them during the breaks and we welcome the the blocks for charity at any meeting.
- Charity project - paliaco donation. Whole quilts, blocks,
- traditional strip block - play with colour, size, shape, scale of the strips
- Pinterest page added
- play with layout
- More explanation of negative space
- link to the blog, and photos
- When you have made the blocks post them to instagram with the following hashtags;
- Play and cut
- Quilt math discussion
Club Tissue - membership card for free if you are here tonight.
Show and Tell
FIRST: does anyone object to photos taken at meetings being posted to the guild’s social media accounts? If you do not want photos taken of your work, inform Stacy in advance.
Show and Tell
- Mamma Lucy - From Missouri, USA star quilts pattern fast quilt with stripes
- took up a challenge of packing up her studio space
- found many books on rail fence
- wedding quilts, post after wedding
- First; Angela Walters midnight quilt show. Free motion on a domestic machine. Photos after wedding
- Second; quilt around the world pattern g (alternate grid, asymmetry and negative space) photos after wedding
- quilt market quilt
- Libs Elliott machine quilted on the line
- In the Mirror from Joseé’s pattern.
- Les Temps des sucre Libs Elliott
- Blue triangles
- fabricville F done out of foundation paper piecing.
- Baby Margo - baby quilt with triangles and half hexies
10. Marie Eve
- owlly owls from Elizabeth Hartman
- Changes - Hand quilted boxes navy blue with green. Used quilters dream batting
Next sew-in - Saturday September 23rd, SouthWest Mission, Verdun, QC.Next meeting - Tuesday October 10th